Monday, March 22, 2010

Cavortress Part 3



 



 



 



 


So we all know now how I ended up backstage at the Cavortress Fashion Show on March 12. Now for how I felt being backstage at the Cavortress Fashion Show. For starters, I was so nervous that I completely misread the schedule for the show and towed Lori and Robin downstairs to the hotel lobby with me at 2:00 PM sharp... only to find out that I wasn't supposed to be down there until 5:30. Ugh. That gave us ample time though for me to practice practice practice not falling on my face in heels that were 1 1/2 sizes too big! (That's a whole 'nother story!) After we finally began, I met some amazing people. One of my favorites was Amy Chadwell (the blonde in the second photo from the bottom). Besides having the most kick-ass haircut of anyone I've ever met, she was the nicest person to me. The only of the models to make an effort to chit chat with me. Hey, that's all I'm asking for. Just a little love to calm my nerves! The other girls were nice and very polite though! Anyway, I also met Austin Nelson, the photographer responsible for some of these photos (save for the first 5 black & white ones taken of me backstage by Robin!). He was SO nice and fun to talk to that he made me feel as though I had a local friend there the whole time. 

I was so beside myself nervous. I was one of 2 or 3 girls (out of 15) that were completely new to the whole runway thing. I was shorter, tattooed, and def more awkwardly outgoing (atleast it seemed that way) than the other girls. I have to say that I am proud of myself that I was able to be surrounded by 25ish complete strangers and not throw my guts up. I remember so little. I remember standing in line for a final check and looking around the room and seeing the other girls and thinking "Oh my God. This is real. This is about to happen. For real." And then hearing things like, "HEY GIRLS! This place is packed! There's hundreds of people out there." and "Okay, when you turn the corner, they have a spot light that is blinding. Just look forward and walk!." and "GIRLS, REMEMBER TO WALK SLOWLY." and and and so many directions and so much more. I turned the corner, took a deep breath, tried my damndest not to squint at that RIDICULOUSLY bright spot light and walk. s l o w l y . I honestly, don't remember a thing except for the light (I wondered if that's what death feels like) until I got to the end and was like, "Oh! Pose, dammit!" to myself. Then step, step (there were two steps we had to walk down and then "Pose. Again. Man, that guy is really close. I'm only posing for like this row of people standing in front of me. Who cares, keep walking." Then up the ramp and wait wait wait and then here we go again, back to the room, through the crowd that I can SEE this time. The room was so strange walking back into it. I just spent 4 hours in there but all of a sudden it felt lighter. As the girls walked in one by one from the runway everyone cheered and clapped and smiled and it was fantastic. I wish I would have had a camera for that part.

Check out the show here: YouTube

1 comment:

Momma Heidi said...

Ashley!!!! This is so cool!!! You look so beautiful in the pics and on the runway! I loved the outfit you got to wear, too. So much fun! So happy for you!